- 1 (850g) Carp
- 10 Stalks Lemon grass, bruised
- 2 Pink ginger buds, each cut into 2-4 pieces
- 3 pieces Asam gelugur
- 5 Cup leaves, coarsely sliced
- 10 stalks Chinese chives
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind, soaked in 250cc water, squeeze the pulp and strain the juice
- Salt and lime juice to taste
Finely Pounded Spices Into Paste:
- 10 Red chilies
- 1 tablespoon Szechwan pepper
- 7 Candlenuts, roasted
- 2 teaspoons Chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons Chopped turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Chopped young galangal
- 10 Shallots
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- Clean the fish and remove scales, entrails, gills and fins.
- Wash and drain.
- Rub fish with salt and lime juice, and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Stuff the fish with some of the ground spices, lemon grass and pink ginger buds.
- Rub the whole fish with remaining ground spices.
- Put the fish, asam gelugur, cup leaves and Chinese chives in a pan and pour tamarind juice.
- Simmer uncovered until the fish is cooked and the gravy has thickened.
- During cooking, you may also add 15 whole string beans or 250 grams sour bamboo shoots if preferred.