- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 1/2 c frozen or fresh corn, cut from the cob
- 1 tbs chives, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 c canola oil for frying
- To make the spice paste, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Grind corn kernels in a food processor or blender.
- Scrape corn into a large mixing bowl and add chives, egg, flour, and spice paste. Mix with a wooden spoon or electric mixer to make a smooth, thick batter.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. When a bit of batter dropped into the pan sizzles immediately, the oil is ready for frying. To make a fritter, use a large mixing spoon to carefully drop 2 tbsp. of batter into the pan. Fry fritter for 2 to 4 minutes, or until it turns golden brown. You may make up to four fritters at a time. When they are done, use a spatula to transfer them to a plate covered with a paper towel. Serve hot with sambal or Thai chili sauce.