Indonesian Beef Stew | Semur Daging
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut as desired
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs oil
- 3/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 salam leaves (Indonesian bay leaves)
- 2 tbs minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp minced laos (galanggal)
- 1/2 nutmeg, grated
- 1 star anise
- 1 piece of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbs kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tsp tamarind juice or lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch dice
How To Make :
- Heat up the oil and fry the shallots about 3 minute or until it's translucent.
- Add the ginger, nutmeg, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, galanggal and salt.
- Add the beef, stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until it's lost the raw pink color.
- Pour in the water, add the kecap manis, tamarind juice and salam leaves, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for about 1 hour .
- Add hard boiled eggs, potatoes and tomatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Serve it with with rice.