Lombok Style Marinated Beef Satay | Sate Ampet Sasak
- 2 lbs (1 kg) beef sirloin
- 24 bamboo skewers, coaked in water for 4 hours before using Lime or lemon wedges, to serve 1 portion Sambal Kecap (see our Sambals Categories)
Ingredients For Marinade :
- 4 candlenuts, roughly chopped
- 1 in (2 ½ cm) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 red finger-length chilies, deseeded
- 2 to 3 bird’s-eye chilies, deseeded
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon dried shrimp paste (trasi), dry-roasted
- 1 teaspons salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cups (250 ml) thick coconut milk
How To Make :
- Cut the beef into bite-sized cubes and set aside.
- Prepare the Maride by grinding all the ingredients (except the oil and coconut oil) toa smooth paste in a mortar or blender and adding a little oil if necessary to keep the mixture turning. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat and stiry—fry the ground paste until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the coconut milk and simmer until the marinade has thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set a side to cool. Pour the Marinade, until well coated and allow to marinate for marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Prepare the Sambal Kecap by following the recipe (see our sambals categories)
- Thread the marinated beef cubes onto the bamboo skewers and grill over hot charcoal or under a preheated broiler for 5 to 7 minutes, turning and basting frequently with the Marinade, until the meat is well cooked and browned on all sides. Arrange the satays on a serving platter and serve with the lime or lemon wedges and a bowl of Sambal Kecap on the side.