- For Rice Dumpling:
- 500 gr rice, washed and drain
- Banana leaves
- toothpick for cliping banana leaves
- 3 tbs oil for frying
- 1 lemongrass, take the white part, bruised
- 2 salam leaves
- 2 cm galangal, bruised
- 300 gr shrimp, cleaned
- 500 gr chayote (labu Siam), cut into julienne
- 20 pcs petai, cut into half
- 1250 ml coconut milk
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
Finely pounded spices into paste:
- 3 clove garlic
For rice dumpling:
- Roll banana leaves to silinder shape with 3 cm diameter. Clip one side of banana leave and leave the other one.
- Put rice until 3/4 of banana leaves and clip the last side of banana leaves.
- Arrange rice dumpling in a large pan, pour water untill all rice dumpling covered.
- Cook approximaly 5-6 hours. Keep the water always covered the rice dumpling.
- Heat oil and saute spices paste, lemongrass, galangal and salam leaves until fragrant.
- Add shrimp and stir until shrimp change colour. Add chayote, petai and tomatoes. Stir well.
- Pour coconut milk and stir gently until cook well.
- Ready to serve. Cut rice dumpling and pour the vegetables on top.
If hard to find banana leaves, it can be replaced with rice for risotto and wrapped with plastic (merk : BOSTO/ UNCLE BENS). You can find this item on your local supermarket. This rice can be boil with the plastic and must be 2-3 hours. After that hang rice dumpling to drain.