- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) thick coconut milk
- 1 fresh spring chicken (about 1 kg/2 Ibs), split along the breast, opened and flattened
- 1 turmeric leaf
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thick bottom part only, tough outer layers discarded, inner part bruised
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 to 4 shallots
- 2 doves garlic
- 2 1/2 cm (1 in) galangal root, peeled and sliced
- 2 1/2 cm (1 in) turmeric, peeled and sliced
- 1 cm (1/2 in) ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
How To Make :
- To make the Spice Paste, grind all the ingredients toa smooth paste in a mortar or t1lender, adding some coconut milk to keep the paste turning if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the Spice Paste in a wok over medium heat and gradually stir in the coconut milk. Bring the mixture
slowly to a boil and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken, turmeric leaf, lime leaves and lemongrass, and mix well. Cover the wok and simmer for about 30 minutes, turning the chicken frequently, until the chicken is tender. Remove from heat.
- Grill the spiced chicken on a charcoal or pan grill over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, basting with the leftover sauce. This should take about 5 minutes. Cut the grilled chicken into serving pieces and serve hot.