Rice Cakes 1 cup glutinous rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch
¾ cup water
¼ tsp. salt
Sauce 3 cups water
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup palm sugar syrup
1 pandan leaf
Pinch of salt
To make Rice Cake:
1. Place rice flour and tapioca starch in a deep mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
2. Add water and salt, mix well and knead dough until it can be rolled and shaped. Dough should not be to dry.
3. Roll small rice cakes Â½-inch in diameter. Cut diagonally 1-inch in length.
4. Bring 8 cups of water to a oil. Put it the rice cakes, bring back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set the rice cakes aside.
To make the sauce:
1. Combine water, coconut milk, palm sugar, pandan leaf, and a pinch of salt in a small stockpot. Bring to a boil.
2. Add rice cakes and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cool and serve at room temperature, topped with a tablespoon of fresh grated coconut.
Helpful hints: When preparing the rice cakes, use the amount of water given in the recipe only as a guideline; the quality of flour varies greatly and affects the amount of liquid it absorbs. Add sufficient water to result in a soft, smooth dough. If the rice cakes are dry when shaped, they will be very tough after cooking.
Makes 3 servings.