- (+/- 750) g milkfish
- 80 g white bread (2 slices)
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg for stuffing
- 2 eggs for frying
- Oil for frying
- Banana leaves or alluminium foil
- 5 candlenuts
- 3 tbsp sliced garlic
- 2 tbsp sliced red chilies
- 1 tsp sliced ginger
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
How To Make :
- Scrape off the fish scales. Take out the gill and scales inside the fish, through a small opening under it’s head. Rinse the fish well.
- Stretch head and tail simultaneously to crack the bones.
- Mash the fish using wooden pestle until soft. Pull out the bones and meat through the opening under the head. Separate the meat from bones by simmering then bones and the meat with a small amount of water and set aside the fish meat.
- Blend all spices into a paste, set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the fish meat with bread and egg, blend until smooth. Add breadcrumbs and the paste.
- Put the mixture back into the fish cavity to form the intact fish.
- Put the stuffed fish on a sheet of banana leaf or aluminum foil, roll up, wrap tightly, secure with bamboo picks and steam for 30 minutes. Remove from the steamer, let cool and open the wrap.
- Beat the egg and add salt, toss the fish into the beaten egg, deep fry until golden brown.
- Serve in slices in a serving plate and garnish.