- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 1 stalk Lemon grass, bruised
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamoms, bruised
- 1 Chicken, cut into 2-4 pieces
- 500 cc Thick coconut milk1 tablespoon tamarind juice
Finely Pounded Spices:
- 3 teaspoons Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons Chopped turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Chopped galangal
- 5 Candlenuts, roasted
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 8 Shallots
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- Heat oil and sauté the ground spices, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, cloves and cardamoms until fragrant.
- Add the chicken.
- Fry for a few minutes, then add coconut milk and asam gelugur or tamarind juice.
- Simmer until the chicken is half-cooked and the sauce has reduced.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce.
- Grill the chicken over hot charcoal, brushing it with some sauce.
- Serve with the remaining sauce.